Utah Tech University

Certificate of Insurance

Certificates must be requested at least 72 hours prior to the desired event. Certificate review and processing can take three days or more in some circumstances.

All Certificates of Insurance for events, vendors, athletic teams, and other 3rd party entities must be submitted by email to sonja.blea@utahtech.edu two (2) weeks prior to the event date.


Certificates of Insurance are used as evidence of insurance. It identifies what insurance will cover for the named insured, and what financial protection might be available in the event of a loss. It gives no rights to the entity for whom the certificate is being requested in regard to the actual insurance policy. Neither can it alter or modify coverage(s) on the actual policy.


Certificates are often required to be produced to complete a business agreement or participate in an activity such as renting equipment, using a location for an event or for students doing medical externships.

Outside entities doing business or with events on campus are require to produce a Certificate of Insurance with the following:

Certificates of Insurance must be on a standard ACORD form.

– Utah Tech University must be listed as the Certificate Holder.

– Minimum amounts of 1 million single occurrence and 3 million general aggregate.

– Utah Tech University must also be listed as Additional Insured.

Example Certificate of Insurance that meet Utah Tech University Requirements. 


(For non-university events or sponsorships using outside entities)

Non-university users or sponsorships using outside entities of university buildings, facilities, and grounds are presumptively required to provide proof of insurance and endorsement of the university as an additional insured prior to using any facilities. When UT is the sole sponsor of the event, the following may not apply. Event Sponsorship request forms needing to be filled out and approved at least 30 days in advance by the Event Sponsorship Committee.

Users that do not have a current insurance policy may contact the insurance company of their choice, State of Utah Risk Management underwrites a commercial insurance program to provide event insurance. Current information on this insurance is available from Fred A. Moreton & Company.

The following Decision Matrix will be used as a guideline only to determine if proof of insurance is needed for an event. Event insurance certificates will be for at least the government immunity act amount but preferred $1 million per occurrence and $3 million aggregate listing UT as and additional insured.

Low risk events where insurance waivers are typically waived but may be considered include:

  • Class Lectures
  • Exams
  • Meetings
  • Seminars
  • Conferences
  • Speaking Engagements
  • Web & Teleconferences
  • Job Fairs
  • Music Recitals
  • Graduations
  • Meals catered by Utah Tech
  • Family Gatherings
  • Political Events

High risk events where insurance may not be waived include:

  • Any large capacity event (> 150 persons)
  • Any event where admission is charged
  • Construction of exhibit, scenery, or displays
  • Kitchen or outdoor grill use
  • Youth Conference and Camps
  • Pool Events
  • Sporting Events
  • Concerts
  • Dances
  • Plays
  • Halloween Activities
  • Movie Screenings
  • Sales (Rummage, Yard, etc.)
  • Weddings/Receptions
  • Church groups
  • Alcohol service and consumption

Generally Prohibited events include but are not limited to:

  • Use of hazardous materials, explosives/high energy
  • Carnivals/Fairs sponsored by commercial entities
  • Fireworks (Unless event permitted)
  • Pyrotechnics (Unless event permitted)
  • Skydiving
  • Bon fires
  • Rodeos
  • Mechanical bulls
  • Inflatables, trampolines, and climbing walls unless provided by a commercial entity that carries its own insurance and will name entity as an additional insured

All the above mentioned include Utah Tech events.


  • Your name, title and contact information.
  • The outside entities contact information; Contacts first and last name, Phone number, Email, Entity name, Address, State, Country, Zip code.
  • What kind(s) of insurance must be on the certificate (Example: annual or limited, general liability, auto liability, professional liability, property, auto comp/collision or course of construction). Please note State Risk Management does not provide workers compensation insurance.
  • What the required limits for each kind of insurance are (Standard Limits are the Governmental Immunity Act limits set by statute every two years currently 1 million single occurrence, 3 million General Aggregate). Sometimes higher limits may be requested.
  • Note if the Certificate Holder is Additional Insured or Loss Payee.
  • If other entities besides the Certificate Holder must be Additional Insured, you must add. (Example: respective members, officers, directors, agents and employees are additional insured).
  • Give correct name and spelling of the Certificate Holder and address. Many nationwide entities require their home office address be used not the local address. Be sure to include LLC or Inc. as most Certificate Holders won’t accept a Certificate without this.
  • Short, description of the event noting Who, What, Where, When, Why and How. If you need proof of insurance for a new school bus, for example, give the make, model and year and VIN of the vehicle. How are students being transported to events, if you are renting space for an event, and include the enter/exit dates. Please do not use acronyms
  • The Certificates will only be emailed to the Requestors and Certificate Holders. If other entities need a copy of the Certificate, then you will need to request them from Risk Management.


If you have questions, please don’t hesitate to contact Sonja Blea at sonja.blea@utahtech.edu.


Please submit documentation to sonja.blea@utahtech.edu a minimum of 2-weeks prior to your event date. NOTE: All Certificates of Insurance must be on a Standard Accord Form

  1. Certificate of Insurance minimum requirements:
    • Certificates of Insurance must be on a Standard Accord Form
    • For certificates of insurance please use the following contact information
      • Sonja Blea
      • Utah Tech University
        225 S University Ave
        St George, Utah 84770
    • General Liability Insurance:
      • $1M each occurrence
        $3M general aggregate
        Utah Tech University must be listed as “Additional Insured” (Do not use acronyms – please spell out Utah Tech University)

If you have questions, please contact Sonja Blea at Sonja.Blea@utahtech.edu